AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Incompany 100: Top 5 position in the category Legal
Chambers and Partners Europe
Best Dutch consultancy in category ‘Lawyers & Notaries’, MT100
PropertyNL – Top real estate lawyers
InterContinental Finance Global Award
Real Estate Law Firm of the Year in the Netherlands
- Advised W.P. Carey on various real estate financings, including a EUR 16,500,000 loan facility provided by Düsseldorfer Hypothekenbank AG for a research and development property located in Wageningen, the Netherlands and a £18,470,000 secured term loan facility in respect of a Scottish property portfolio acquired by W.P. Carey. In the latter transaction a team led by Jeroen den Hamer acted for the lenders (ICG- Longbow Senior Debt Investments No. 1 LLP and BUPA Pension Scheme Trustees Ltd). A team led by one of BOEKEL’s real estate partners acted for W.P. Carey.
- Acted as Dutch counsel to a large international financial conglomerate in relation to the off‐loading and unwinding of a large part of its non‐strategic and/or non‐performing loans, securities and derivatives portfolio. This deal was important due to sheer size and diversity of the portfolio involved, and the complex financial regulatory issues.
- Acting as the Dutch civil law notary for Procter & Gamble.
- Assisted Enviem in connection with its sale of its Gulf Oil Wholesale activities to Finco. The sold activities included several business units ranging from direct sales to the logistics (terminals, barges, trucks etc).
- Acted as Dutch counsel (in cooperation with Pinsent Masons’ London office), in a EUR 1.2 Billion transaction that will see Redefine Properties Limited acquire a 75% stake in a Dutch property vehicle Echo Prime Properties B.V., which indirectly owns a significant portfolio of prime real estate assets in Poland.
- Acted as Dutch counsel to The Medicines Company (NASDAQ: MDCO) in relation to both its acquisition of ProFibrix B.V. in 2013 and its sale in February 2016 to Mallinckrodt plc, in a transaction for a total potential consideration of up to USD 410M
- Assisted The Gores Group, as the majority shareholder in Unify (a joint-venture company with Siemens and the number three world leader of integrated communication solutions), on both the sale to Atos and The Gores Group’s position vis-à-vis other shareholders in Unify.
- Advised General Electric, as local counsel together with Paul Hastings in New York, in connection with the international sale of its rail-signaling business to Alstom, which was a USD 800M part of GE’s USD 9.3 Billion purchase of Alstom’s power and grid business
- Acted for Regus in relation to (i) its takeover of the operations of the Evoluon (a landmark building and conference centre in Eindhoven) from Philips in 2014 and (ii) an undisclosed transaction in the Dutch market which was completed in September 2015.
- Advised Altera on the sale of its complete office portfolio and seven business units (‘Zenith portfolio’) to Goldman Sachs for the sum of EUR 217 million.
- Assisted Amrath in the acquisition of one of the Netherlands’ most iconic seaside hotels: the Kurhaus in Scheveningen.
- Worked with DBN on the sale of a major retail portfolio, transferred to German group Patrizia, along with another portfolio, for EUR 340 million.
- Advised Interparking on the purchase and sale of various car parks in the Netherlands, including the recent purchase of car parks in Amsterdam (‘IJdock’) and The Hague (‘Tournooiveld’).
- Advised MPC Capital on the sale of various properties in the Netherlands, including the Zandkasteel (the Sand Castle), the head offices of ING Bank, in Amsterdam Zuidoost to ING and a consortium of G&S Vastgoed and OVG. In all, assets worth more than EUR 100 million were involved.
- Advised Plaza West, a private collaborative partnership, on the purchase of a land holding in Haarlem from Cobraspen Beheer B.V. for around EUR 43 million, with development potential for approximately 600 homes and 10,000 m² of retail space.
- Advised Union Investment on the purchase and sale of various real estate projects in the Netherlands, including the acquisition of the ‘FIRST’ newbuild project in Rotterdam from a consortium of Maarsen Groep and MAB.
- Advised Wereldhave on the purchase from Klépierre of a sizeable retail portfolio, comprising nine retail centres, for the sum of EUR 730 million.
Banking and Finance
- Assisted Crescent Capital Group with the financing aspects of a bolt-on acquisition of a Danish company (confidential). In 2015 and 2014 Boekel assisted in respect of an acquisition facility by which Crescent entered into a syndicated €59,900,000 committed facility, supplemented by an uncommitted accordion of up to €15,000,000, in order to allow P&L Systems Holding (UK) Ltd to acquire Pelsis.
- Advised Dufry, a leading global travel retailer, on the Dutch law aspects of a CHF 1.6 billion bridge facility, CHF 1.5 billion of term facilities and a CHF 900 million revolving credit facility put in place in connection with Dufry’s acquisition of The Nuance Group and the refinancing and maturity extension of Dufry’s existing bank debt, as well as the subsequent indenture to provide for the issuance of $500,000,000 aggregate principal amount of 5.500% senior notes. As a follow up, Boekel assisted Dufry with the Dutch law aspects of an acquisition in relation to Dufry’s agreement with Edizione S.r.l.
- Advised Morgan Stanley Senior Funding, Inc. and Goldman Sachs Bank USA on an acquisition financing for Centerbridge Partners, L.P. comprising of a USD 625,000,000 senior secured credit facilities, in which Morgan Stanley acted as agent, and Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs and UBS Investment Bank acted as lead arrangers. Boekel also advised its clients on the prior USD 225,000,000 high yield offering, in which Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and UBS Investment Bank acted as initial purchasers.
Cathay Associates in Amsterdam, Netherlands, Boekel, understands entirely the developments in the market and the issues are clients are facing, allowing us to move rapidly in an increasingly complex global environment. Our firm has the creativity necessary to provide a unique hands-on approach in order to not only keep up with new developments our clients face, but to transform these into new opportunities and higher levels of success, both in Amsterdam and throughout the world.
Our great strength is our ability to link our knowledge and expertise to the world our clients face. We work in industry teams and sector-specific teams, which unite all relevant areas of expertise, enabling us to switch gears quickly and in a well-informed manner. We act as business partners for companies active in the financial, real estate, life sciences, technology data and privacy, healthcare, retail, professional services, manufacturing, and government sectors–working together for and with our clients.
Cathay Associates Amsterdam is recognized as a leader in the Netherlands for a reason. Our expertise, flexibility, and personal relationship with our clients is done through providing clear advice, and we respond with clear results to the most complex issues. These innovative approaches and the subsequent results are in a wide-range of practices, including: Banking & Finance, Commercial, Corporate Notary, Corporate/M&A, Employment, EU, Competition & Regulatory, Fraud & Compliance, Insurance, Litigation, Public Law, Real Estate, Restructuring & Insolvency.
Corporate, Real Estate & Litigation
Our firm knows how competitive and volatile today’s market can be, which only shows the need to stay ahead of the trends and to act swiftly on market opportunities. The new post-crisis real estate era is what we do best. Our Real Estate team is one of the largest and most successful in the Netherlands. And team reaches new levels of success for our strong Dutch and cross-border client base, ranging from investors, fund managers, financiers, loan services, government institutions, asset managers, estate agents to large scale tenants.
As Real Estate experts and recognized leaders in the industry, our team will use customized solutions and innovative legal approaches in order for you to achieve the best results for investing in, developing, financing and managing Real Estate.
We cover all aspects of Dutch real estate law related transaction, advisory and litigation work that you may require in relation to commercial, retail, hotel, industrial, logistic, public use and residential property, as well as a full-spectrum of issues related to real estate issues.
CONTACT / INQUIRY
Gustav Mahlerplein 2, PO Box 75510, 1070 AM Amsterdam, The Netherlands
+31 20 795 3953