AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Asian Legal Business
Litigation Law Firm of the year
Chambers & Partners
International Financial Law Review
- -Our Firm advises Filipino Fund Inc., a company listed in the Philippine Stock Exchange (“PSE”), on compliance matters and disclosure requirements with the PSE and the Securities and Exchange Commission. We also assist the client with the issuance of its securities.
- -Our Firm advises and assists in the preparation of documentation for issuance of securities such as equities, bonds, commercial papers, pre-need plans and structured products.
- -The Firm also provides advice on the regulatory requirements, prepares documentation and assists in the process for initial public offerings, additional issuances, tender offers, private placements and stock exchange listings.
- -Our Firm acts as counsel for Innove Communications, Inc. (subsidiary of Globe Telecom) in assisting and representing the client in its bid for various procurement projects of the Government of the Philippines. Our Firm actively assisted the client in preparing the bid documents and ensuring its eligibility for the Project, as well as provided comprehensive legal advice on bid procedures and requirements. Our Firm’s services also included assisting the client with respect to its joint venture with foreign partners.
- -Our Firm rendered legal advice to a global technology company on local regulations involving a revolutionary and landmark project on internet provision which seeks to provide cost effective LTE & Broadband deployments in remote areas in the Philippines that are not presently covered by existing internet services.
- -Our Firm provided legal advice involving the assessment of potential risks, limitations and possible recommendations involving the implementation of cloud-based online services. Our Firm provided legal advice on: (1) the relevant laws involving data services and privacy: (2) tax and accounting laws and regulations; (3) labor laws; and (4) various relevant compliances and registrations in the Philippines.
- Our Firm assists in all applications for the issuances of the proper visas and work permits in favor of client’s expatriates. The assistance provided includes coordinating with the proper representatives of the client, preparing all appropriate documents and forms, filing of documents, following up of applications and securing visas and work permits granted. Our Firm assists the client in all steps of the application for visas and work permits.
- Our Firm provides opinions and guidance on aspects of labor standards and relations law, such as minimum requirements prescribed by existing laws, rules and regulations relating to wages, hours of work and other benefits, including current industry compensation for managers and rank-and-file employees, as well as retrenchment and redundancy arising from corporate mergers, consolidation and acquisition, among others.
- Our Firm provides counsel and represents some of the biggest local and international corporations before the regular courts and quasi-judicial bodies, such as the National Labor Relations Commission (NLRC).
- The Firm acts as counsel for a leading universal bank in a case involving the taxability of the interest income/discount from the PhP35 Billion Poverty Eradication and Alleviation Certificates issued by the Philippine Government.
- The Firm assists in the filing and processing of various Tax Treaty Relief Applications of multinational companies with the Bureau of Internal Revenue.
- The Firms advises on tax issues involved in highly sophisticated mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, securities transactions, partnerships and joint ventures, complex credit transactions, as well as other high value commercial dealings, such as real estate transactions and the sale of goods and services. The Firm’s lawyers have immense experience in direct and indirect taxes, including taxes imposed by local government units.
- The Firm handles the entire Philippine trademark portfolio of the FRANCK MULLER™ GROUP which owns the “FRANCK MULLER” brand of luxury watches. Recognized as one of the newest yet most successful brand of luxury watches, “FRANCK MULLER” is known for creating complicated timepieces with its own brand of topnotch Swiss movement rivalling established brands. The Department maintains its trademarks representing the iconic names identified with the “FRANCK MULLER” brand such as “MASTER OF COMPLICATIONS”, “GIGA TOURBILLONS”, “MASTER SQUARE”, “CROCO”, “SUNRISE” to name a few.
- The Firm represents Petron Corporation, the leading liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) supplier in the Philippines and owner of the market leader “GASUL” brand, in multiple cases for trademark infringement, unfair competition and illegal refilling against the biggest illegal LPG refillers in the country.
- In addition to BDO Unibank, Inc. (“BDO”)’s existing trademark portfolio, the Firm now handles BDO’s newest domestic trademark filings as a result of its acquisition of One Network Bank (“ONB”), one of the largest and most successful rural banks in the Philippines. With its successful acquisition of ONB, BDO has indubitably secured its place as the largest bank in the Philippines. The Firm also handles BDO’s new trademarks in connection with its recent partnership with Nomura Holdings Inc. (“Nomura”), Japan’s largest securities firm. The partnership between BDO and Nomura promises the largest online securities trading service in the Philippines.
- Globe Telecom, Inc., one of the two (2) major Philippine mobile telecom providers, engaged the Firm in the first suit in Philippine history against the Philippine Competition Commission, an anti-competitive regulatory government agency tasked with approving high-value mergers and acquisitions. Globe’s suit seeks to invalidate the PCC’s rulings that the transaction where Globe and Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company purchased the shares of San Miguel Company in Vega Telecommunications, Inc. for an amount of approximately Php69B (US$1.47B) was not deemed approved, and to compel the PCC to recognize the rights of Globe.
- The Firm successfully defended the President and CEO of the fastest growing independent oil company in the Philippines in an alleged tax evasion case over the importation of petroleum products with a combined dutiable value of approximately Php6.7B (US$143M).
- The Firm successfully represented Banco de Oro Unibank, Inc., one of the largest banks in the Philippines, in a JYP1 Billion collection suit by the bank against a group of interrelated corporations.
- The Firm was engaged to conduct a legal due diligence investigation in relation to the client’s proposed investment on a renewable energy project. The Firm identified legal and regulatory issues and potential liabilities of the project, provided a comprehensive assessment of the risks, and provided legal and commercially-viable solutions to such issues and liabilities. The Firm also structured the proposed investment transaction and prepared the implementing transaction documents.
- The Firm handles corporate/commercial matters for the Ayala Group of Companies through a general group-wide retainer agreement, and specific transactional engagements with subsidiaries. Aside from transaction-specific work, the firm’s legal service includes contract review and regulation advisory. In the past year, regular advisory services were rendered for Ayala Corporation, Ayala Land, Inc. and Globe Telecom.
- The Firm provides legal advice on various corporate, regulatory, labor and transactional issues. The Firm prepares an investment structure for the client, taking into account the Philippine nationality and capitalization restrictions and the commercial requirements of the client.
- The Firm rendered legal services to a German renewable energy company in connection with the conduct of a legal due diligence on a proposed investment by BayWa on a solar energy development project located at Hermosa, Bataan, Philippines. The Firm also provided legal advice and assistance on the transactions related to the proposed investment.
- The Firm rendered legal services to an international energy company in connection with the Onshore Construction Contract, Offshore Supply Contract and the Coordination Agreement in relation to a Solar Photovoltaic Power Plant Project in the Philippines.
- Our Firm advised on agreements required for nickel mining operations and mineral processing in the Philippines, including the incorporation of a mining joint venture company to conduct nickel mining operations.
- The Firm represents one of the biggest real estate development companies in the Philippines in a suit for damages arising from a widely-publicized gas explosion in 2013, in one of Manila’s most exclusive residential condominium complexes. The gas explosion, which damaged the structural integrity of two (2) condominium towers, became the subject of a 4-month government investigation. The suit was filed by the owner of the condominium unit identified to be the actual site of the gas explosion, and assailing the design, construction and maintenance of the piped LPG system installed within the condominium complex.
- The Firm successfully represented a grantee of a Forest Land Grazing Lease Agreement (“FGLA”) for 25 years, against a mining corporation. The client filed a case before the trial court for recovery of possession and damages with prayer for injunctive relief when the client was unlawfully ousted from the property covered by the FGLA in 1999. While injunctive relief was initially granted by the trial court, the ruling was later on reversed and the case was dismissed. This constrained the client, as represented by the Firm, to question before the Supreme Court the proceedings before the trial court. In the recent victory by the Firm, the Supreme Court ordered that the case be reinstated to determine the amount of damages and injury suffered by the client due to its dispossession. The victory in the Supreme Court paves the way for potential recovery of damages in the amount of at least PhP100 Million.
- The Firm advises real estate developer, Portuguese Realty Inc., in developing and constructing the state of the art and environment-friendly multi-billion peso Citibank Plaza, the new headquarters of Citibank in the Philippines. Aside from rendering legal advice, the Firm also prepares various agreements in relation to the development and construction of the building.
- The Firm has been engaged to defend one of the Philippines’ leading universal banks against current and threatened multiple actions in courts and other regulatory bodies, including the Central Bank of the Philippines and the Anti-Money Laundering Council, to be brought against the bank in relation to the bank’s alleged failure to mitigate a cross-border cyber-attack. These current and threatened multiple actions is a first in Philippine history and involves an aggregate amount of approximately Php3.8B (US$80M) and was subject of investigations of the Senate and regulatory agencies.
- The Firm advised Hedcor Bukidnon, Inc. as Issuer, Aboitiz Renewables, Inc. as Sponsor/Pledgor, Aboitiz Power Corporation as Guarantor/Pledgor in the Ten Billion Pesos (PhP10,000,000.00) Omnibus Notes Facility and Security Agreement for the Manolo Fortich Run-of-river Hydro Power Plant Project with the Bank of the Philippine Islands as Notes Facility Agent, and Asia United Bank, Bank of the Philippine Islands, and Security Bank Corporation as Note Holders.
- The Firm renders advice and assistance to various global financial services companies on Philippines regulations on financial technology, data privacy and anti-financial crimes.
Augusto A. San Pedro, Jr.
Franchette M. Acosta
Maria Concepcion P. Simundac
Villaraza & Angangco is a truly global law firm, positioned to help their local and international clients achieve their ambitions in today’s dynamic and integrated world. Its team of seasoned lawyers provide modern businesses with a full range of legal services drawn from their collective experience and expertise in areas such as Corporate & Commercial Law, Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Intellectual Property Law, Labor & Immigration, Taxation, Power & Energy, Mining & Natural Resources, Mergers & Acquisition, Foreign Investments, Property & Development, Infrastructure, Transportation and Public Utilities, Capital Markets, Securities Regulation and Finance, and Immigration.
Years of commitment to excellence and impeccable track record in solving intricate legal problems made Villaraza & Angangco one of the leading law firms in Philippines. Dedication, highest professional standards and tailored strategies will allow its team to provide a comprehensive legal solution to any hurdle your business faces, in an efficient and timely manner.
- Tourism and Leisure,
- Gaming Law,
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
CONTACT / INQUIRY
V&A LAW CENTER, 11th Ave corner, 39th Street, Bonifacio Triangle, Bonifacio Global City, Metro Manila, Taguig, 1634 Metro Manila, Philippines
+632 988 6088
+632 988 6000