AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Deal of the Year: Restructuring: Pluna liquidation gets approval from Uruguayan courts
Excellent Law Firm – Corporate Tax, Dispute Resolution
Chambers Latin America
The Legal 500 Latin America
International Financial Law Review
- We represented Finnish Metsä-Botnia in the sale of its pulp mill and eucalyptus plantations to Finnish forestry company UMP-Kymmene.
- We acted as legal counsel of Mapfre America — the Spaniard leader in the insurance industry — in its acquisition from ABN AMRO Bank of 100% stock of Real Uruguaya de Seguros S.A., the oldest private insurance company in the country.
- We provided legal advised to Allflex, the world leader in ear tags for cattle identification (traceability), in its successful bid for the acquisition of three million ear tags and visual tags to identify cattle.
- We assisted Visa International, the international credit card company, in the corporate restructuring of its operations in Uruguay and assisted the brand in the design of the legal structure in Uruguay.
- We assisted Diageo, the world’s leading company in the premium drinks industry (including brands such as Smirnoff, Guinness, Johnnie Walker and White Horse), in the acquisition of “Old Times”, a traditional and solid local brand.
- We acted as local counsel for Corporación Andina de Fomento (“CAF”), a multilateral credit and development organization comprising most of Latin American countries, in connection with the financing provided by CAF to Corporación Nacional para el Desarrollo (“CND” or “National Corporation for Development”) for the “Road Megaconcession”, an infrastructure concession for the construction, maintenance and operation of 770 miles of highways.
- We assisted Bank of America Corporation in connection with the local regulatory implications of the acquisition of Merrill Lynch & Co.
- We advised N M Rothschild & Sons Ltd., a British bank, and Bayerische, HypoVereinsbank AG, a German bank, in a project finance for the development and exploitation of Uruguay’s most important gold mine.
- We assisted Tupperware Corporation in the acquisition of the Uruguayan local subsidiary of Sara Lee.
- We advised Standard Bank in the structured finance of a major gold mining project in Uruguay.
- We advised América Móvil, the largest provider of wireless communications services in Latin America, in its successful bid for the acquisition of a 20-year license to operate three broad-band PCS (Personal Communications Service) frequencies and in the establishment of the local network for its cellular telephone system.
- We successfully represented Sony Corporation in Uruguay’s leading case on parallel imports, trademark protection and unfair competition.
- We represented Gaz de France in its successful bid for the distribution of gas in the city of Montevideo.
- We represented Diageo in a leading case involving the termination of a long-term distributorship relationship.
Bergstein is one of the top firms in Uruguay. Our team is well-known both locally and globally for its commitment, experience and successful handling of all kinds of legal problems, a modern company might encounter. Bergstein has an impeccable record of successfully addressing legal matters in the areas of Corporate, Tax, Litigation and many others.
Our structure is sufficiently large to serve corporate clients and handle corporate transactions, yet flexible and responsive enough to ensure personal attention to every need and requirement of the client.
- Real Estate & AgriBusiness
- Accounting and Outsourcing
- Banking Law
- Investment Projects
- Constitutional and Administrative Law
- Patent Rights and Intellectual Property
- Mining, Oil and Gas
- Data Protection – Privacy
- Competition Law & Anti-Trust
- Labor and Employment
- Life Sciences
CONTACT / INQUIRY
Address: Av. 18 de Julio 1117 – 5th Floor, CP 11.100 Montevideo
+598 2901 2448