AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
CAKMAKOVA Advocates: Corporate/commercial, band 1, leading firm
Biljana Cakmakova: corporate/commercial, band 1, leading individual
Vesna Gavriloska: corporate/commercial, band 3, leading individual
Grozdanovska Olivera: corporate/commercial, band 4, leading individual
CAKMAKOVA Advocates: Corporate/commercial, band 1, leading firm
CAKMAKOVA Advocates: tier 2, leading firm
CAKMAKOVA Advocates: Financial and Corporate, tier 1, recommended firm
CAKMAKOVA Advocates: Macedonia – Mergers and Acquisitions Law Firm of the year
- Legal advisor to a commercial bank in Macedonia in the process of negotiations, preparation and concluding Agreements for debt regulation; Preparation of statements for matured and outstanding debt and request for issuance of certificate for enforcement to the relevant notary publics, Preparation of Proposals for adoption of decision for allowing enforcement based on authentic document; Preparation of requests for enforcement – 2014 – ongoing.
- Legal advisor to a commercial bank in Macedonia in the process of representation before competent courts, preparation of all legal documents and undertaking of other necessary legal activities – 2014 – ongoing.
- Local legal advisor of an Austrian based mobile network company in the process of acquisition of 100 % of the shares in a Macedonian company active in the telecommunication sector, as well as preparation of legal due diligence report, (2013-2014).
- Local legal advisor of US based client active in the automotive industry in the process of acquisition of 100 % of the shares in a Macedonian company active in the automotive industry (located in the Technological Industrial Development Zone Skopje), as well as preparation of legal due diligence report, conducting procedure for obtaining clearance from the Macedonian Commission for Protection of Competition, conducting procedures (1) before the Central Registrar of RM with respect to change of the managers and name of the company and (2) for amendment to the Long term lease agreement, agreement for investment project and agreement for performance of activity in Technological Industrial Development Zone Skopje, (2013-2014). Local legal advisor of the same client in the process of selling its assets owned by the Macedonian subsidiary to the Macedonian subsidiary of another US based company active in the automotive industry, with active participation during the due diligence process on the side of the seller, correspondence and negotiations with the Macedonian Government regarding the transferring, i.e. termination of the agreements concluded with the Macedonian Government (2015-2016); performing on-going legal advising and consulting activities for the Macedonian subsidiary of the US based client (located in the Technological Industrial Development Zone Skopje) (July 2014 – December 2016).
- In 2014 we also acted as local legal advisor to a foreign banking institution from Bulgaria in the procedure for release of securities in connection with the acquisition of Macedonian company active in the telecommunication sector.
- Local legal advisor (in cooperation with Taylor Wessing Partnerschaftsgesellschaft, Germany) of two German companies active in the oil and refining business, in the preparation and submission of Notification of concentration before the Macedonian Commission for protection of competition – 2012.
- Local legal advisor of Bulgarian based client active in the sector of providing security services in the process of taking over of Macedonian company active in the same sector -2010-2011.
- Local legal advisor of an Austrian mobile network company in the process of acquisition of 100% of the shares of a company from Netherlands (100% owner of the second mobile operator in Macedonia); preparation of legal due diligence report – 2009
- Local legal advisor of an Austrian based bank in the process of acquisition of 100% of the shares of a commercial and investment bank from Skopje; preparation of legal due diligence report; legal assistance and representing function in the licensing process with the National Bank of the Republic of Macedonia, the Securities Commission of the Republic of Macedonia and the Commission for Protection of the Competition of the Republic of Macedonia – 2007 – 2008.
- Local legal advisor of a Poland subsidiary of a New York based holding company, which offers consumer finance and asset management services in the process of preparation of legal due diligence report for the acquisition of the majority stake of shares in a commercial bank from Skopje -2007 – 2008.
- Local legal advisor of a leading Bulgarian industrial and financial group in the process of an acquisition of majority stake of share in a commercial bank from Skopje – 2007.
- Legal advisor of a Slovenian based telecommunication joint stock company in the process for taking over paid-in capital in a Macedonian limited liability information system company, Skopje – 2006.
- Local legal advisor of an Austrian based energy company for the project of privatization of a thermo power plant located in Negotino, and preparation of legal due diligence report – 2006.
- Legal advisor of an Austrian based energy company in the project of privatization and purchase of 90% of stated owned ordinary shares in the Macedonian state owned joint stock company for distribution and supply of electricity, and preparation of legal due diligence, as result to which the Austrian acquirer procured 90% of the state owned shares – 2006.
- Local legal advisor and representative of a banking institution from USA in the process of bank acquisition in the Republic of Macedonia – 2006.
- Local legal advisor of the largest Hungarian telecommunications company (a subsidiary of the German based telecommunication operator), in the project for purchase of ordinary shares in a JSC for telecommunications from Skopje, Macedonia, preparation of legal due diligence report – 2000 – 2002.
- Legal advisor in the project for purchase of ordinary shares in the tobacco products manufacturing company located in Skopje by one of the biggest tobacco and cigarette producers in Europe (headquartered in Germany) and its Slovenian subsidiary – 1998 – 1999.
- Legal adviser for the project of Share Purchase in a Macedonian based commercial bank, Skopje, together with Legal Consultants “Constant & Constant Solicitors”, London -1997– 1998.
- Law on Sanation of the Banks – amendments; Preparation of the draft text of the amendments to the Law on Sanation of the Banks for perfect legal realization of the privatization of a commercial bank located in Skopje – 1998.
- Local legal advisor of New York not-for-profit fund with a specific mission to engage in investment activity in emerging markets and manage for-profit investment vehicles that target businesses in the procedures of taking over of paid in capital in 10 Macedonian companies – 1998-2008.
We provide legal assistance in procedures for establishment of limited liability companies and joint stock companies, increasing/decreasing of the basic share capital in the trade companies, transfer/sale of shares, withdrawal of shareholders, emission of new shares by private offer, as well as preparation of all necessary corporate documents (such as agreements for establishment of limited liability companies, statements, decision, share transfer agreements, offers, etc.).
Amongst other we have acted as local legal advisors in the following matters:
- Local advisor to US based client active in the automotive industry in the process of preparation of all corporate documents for establishment of a limited liability company in Macedonia, conducting procedure for registration with the Central register of Republic of Macedonia and the Registrar of direct foreign investments (December 2014 – January 2015); currently performing on-going legal advising and consulting activities for the US based client and the registered limited liability company in Macedonia – 2015 – ongoing.
- Local legal advisor to Ukrainian investors in the process of preparation of all corporate documents necessary for establishment of a joint stock company in Macedonia, active in the field of geological exploration, preparation of all corporate documents for increasing of the basic capital with emission of new shares by a private offer in the same company, obtaining approvals from the Securities Commission, etc.; preparation of all corporate document and establishing a subsidiary of the JSC, which is to be active in the copper and gold mining business – 2014.
- Legal advisor of a Macedonian limited liability company active in the industry for production of healthy food in the process of negotiations for withdrawal of recognized international bank (established in 1991) as a shareholder from the company by using a Call Notice; including preparation of all necessary corporate documents for registration of the withdrawal of a shareholder, treasury share, decreasing of the basic share capital and additional corporate changes – 2013-2015.
- Providing legal assistance to a Germany based investment fund in the process of making an equity investment into Macedonian company from Bogdanci active in the field of organic production and review of the respective corporate documents -2014.
- Local legal advisor of a Germany-based client active in the automotive industry in the procedure for establishment of a subsidiary – a limited liability company in Macedonia -2012.
- Local legal advisor of a US based church– in the process of establishment of a church as a legal entity in the Republic of Macedonia, corporate governance, regulation of temporary residence of foreigners – missionaries, tax related issues, preparation of legal opinions, 2010 – present.
- Local legal advisor to US based client active in the automotive industry in the process of negotiation of the Contract for performance of activity in the Technological Industrial Development Zone Prilep, Contract for long term lease of construction land and Contract for granting state aid with the Government of the Republic of Macedonia – December 2014 – February 2015.
- Local legal advisor of Italy based client, active in the field of manufacturing of shock absorbers, in the process of negotiation of the Contract for performance of activity in the Technological Industrial Development Zone Skopje, Contract for long term lease of construction land and Contract for granting state aid with the Government of the Republic of Macedonia – November 2014 – present.
- Local legal advisor of US based client active in the automotive industry in the process of preparation of the Annexes to the Contract for performance of activity in the Technological Industrial Development Zone Prilep, Contract for long term lease of construction land and Contract for granting state aid with the Government of the Republic of Macedonia – 2014 – 2016.
- Legal advisor of a Germany based investment fund in the process of preparation of the Loan agreements and Shareholders Frame Agreement for a multimillion EUR loan given to company from Bogdanci, Macedonia active in the industry of organic production – 2014.
- Local legal advisor of foreign banking institution from Bulgaria in the preparation of the security documents – pledge agreement over share, pledge agreement over IP and pledge agreement over fixed assets – as security of the loan granted under the Senior Facility Agreement and the Intercreditor Agreement -2009.
- Local legal advisor of foreign banking institution (global financial institution of Dutch origin, offering banking, investments, life insurance and retirement services) with regard to the review and providing of comments to the Senior Facilities Agreement and the Intercreditor Agreement in legal matters relating to the Macedonian laws and regulations -2009.
- Local Legal advisor of an American multinational financial services corporation from USA, in cooperation with White & Case USA – 2007 – 2008.
- Legal advisor of a reputable bank from France and Switzerland (Legal Due Diligence and Legal Opinion – 2007), (preparation of security documents 2010- 2011).
- Legal advisor of a mining company from Skopje, – member of multidimensional business conglomerate in the areas of cement, zinc, glass fiber and related composites, energy and industrial infrastructure (Legal Due Diligence and Legal Opinion), -2007.
- Legal representative and advisor of a New York-registered non-profit corporation and investment fund (that provides low-cost financing to independent news media in countries with a history of media oppression), for preparation of pledge and mortgage contracts, realization of the pledge, as well as in the court procedures in Macedonia – 1997 – 2008.
- Legal advisor of a mining company in Macedonia (which is holding a license for mining copper and gold ore, as well as licenses for geological explorations on several locations in Macedonia) on various matters related to its mining business (2017 – present).
- Local legal advisor to a mining company from Panama for preparation of high level due diligence report over Macedonian subsidiary of a Canadian mining company (which is focused on copper and gold exploitation in the Southeastern European region), regarding corporate status, validity and subsistence of its licenses pertaining to concession for mining exploitation, and providing of a legal opinion on permitting requirements for the construction and operation of the Mining complex for copper and gold on the location “Ilovica” (2016).
- Local legal advisor to Western Australian stone company (which is a premier supplier of high quality quarry products to WA’s construction industry) in the process of performance of legal due diligence over a Macedonian company, which is holding a concession for exploitation of marble ore, with respect to potential taking over of 100% of its shares in terms of the provisions of the Trade Companies Law and the Law on Mineral Ore (2015).
- Legal advisor of company from Bogdanci active in the industry of organic production, including preparation of several legal opinions in the area of financing, foreign exchange operations, corporate changes, real-estate matters, etc. – 2015 – present.
- Legal opinion as regards to the implication of the realization of mortgage agreement for the Macedonian company active in the field of mining lignite – 2014.
- Local legal advisor of a recognized international bank (established in 1991) in their projects in Macedonia, (2000 – present) with respect to the following matters:
- Preparation of legal opinions regarding the loan agreements concluded with Macedonian borrowers (legal entities active in the energy sector) drafting of security documents and legal due diligence of the borrowers (2010-ongoing) in the project Western Balkans Sustainable Energy Direct Financing Facility (“WeBSEDFF“),
- Legal opinion regarding the loan agreement concluded with a commercial bank from Macedonia as a borrower and legal due diligence of the borrower – 2009 – 2010,
- Macedonian law effectiveness opinion for the execution of the Guarantee Agreement between an investment holding company from Guernsey, the recognized bank and a Macedonian company active in the steel industry -2000.
- Legal analysis and advice to a company from Switzerland (which is a dealer of one of the leading manufacturers of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines) and its Macedonian subsidiary with respect to the manner of securing a monetary claim- 2014.
- Legal opinion, comments and amendments to Memorandum of understanding to be concluded between a potential foreign investor and a shareholder in a Macedonian trade company for the purpose of concluding a Share Purchase Agreement, as well as regulating the manner of providing new securities for the loans granted to the Macedonian trade company – 2014.
- Legal opinion to a Macedonian commercial bank with respect to the obligation for reporting, calculation and payment of VAT in enforcement procedures with sale of certain goods (movable and immovable) and realization of securities for payment of monetary claims, or based on other forms of enforcement deeds – 2014.
- Legal opinion to an international consortium with respect to permanent establishment in Macedonia and their regulation with the Macedonian applicable tax laws and the respective agreements for avoidance of double taxation for the needs of their participation in the international tender published by the Agency for state roads (now Public Enterprise for State Roads), Project: Corridor X, Construction and installation of electronic tolling system, financed by the a recognized international bank (established in 1991) – 2014.
- Legal opinion to the a New York-registered non-profit corporation and investment fund (that provides low-cost financing to independent news media in countries with a history of media oppression) with respect to the Macedonian laws and regulation pertaining the broadcasting activity (applicable regulation and the proposed draft regulations), (2013); providing comments and legal opinion to Loan Agreement in the amount of EUR 75,000.00 and Collateral Agreement, personal guarantee (several and joint guarantee), (2014 – 2017).
- Local legal advisor of one of the leading international hotel chains in the process of preparation of legal opinion regarding the tax laws and regulations – 2009.
- Local legal advisor of a Germany based client which is the world’s leading provider of products and services for people with chronic kidney failure in the tender procedure-Open call for granting of license for performance of health activity– dialysis in the network of health institutions in the Republic of Macedonia before the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Macedonia – 2013.
- Local legal advisor of an Italian consortium in the procedure for granting public private partnership for construction, management and maintenance of the amusement park in Skopje – 2013.
- Local legal advisor of a Czech company active in the energy sector with regard to the public tender of the Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Macedonia for granting concession for use of water for generating of electricity from hydro power plants on the Crna River and participation in private public partnership with AD ELEM; Preparation of legal opinion with regard to the Contract for Water Concession and Contract for Public Private Partnership – 2011.
- Local legal advisor of Slovenian company (that provides complete range of products, services and solutions for traffic signalization, license plates production and metal components production) and a Macedonian company active in the telecommunication sector in the tender procedure before the Ministry of interior affairs of the Republic of Macedonia for granting of public procurement agreement for provisioning of register plates for motor vehicles and attachable plates and trade plates for motor vehicles and attachable vehicles – 2011.
- Local legal advisor of a well-known steel producing company and its subsidiary from following the public tender of the Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Macedonia for granting concessions for use of water for electricity generation with small hydro power plants; provided legal advice with regard to the Tender Documents; preparation of legal opinion with regard to the Water Concession Agreement on construction of small hydro power plants related to electricity generation, both prepared by the Ministry of Economy – 2008 – 2009.
- Local legal advisor for an Austrian international airport company in the tender process for provision of the Concession for Construction, Reconstruction and Operation of the Airports “Alexander the Great” in Skopje, “St. Paul the Apostle” in Ohrid and Cargo Airport in Shtip; preparation of legal due diligence report – 2008.
- Legal advisor of an Austrian mobile network company in the tender process for granting an authorization for radio frequencies utilization for a third operator of public communication networks and services in the Republic of Macedonia – 2007.
- Special Macedonian counsel for the Macedonian Crude Oil Pipeline Project, in connection with the debt investment – preparation of Second legal opinion for the Share Purchase and Concession Agreement (dated 8 May 1999) – 2001.
- As of 2006 we have been acting as local legal advisor of a joint stock company from Skopje for distribution of electricity.
- Most recently we acted as local legal advisors to many international and domestic clients with respect to:
- establishment of local companies for trade of electricity, registrations of a direct foreign investment in the Registrar for direct foreign investments (in case of international clients);
- conducting procedures for obtaining licenses for trade of electricity for the needs of the local companies before the Energy Regulatory Commission of the Republic of Macedonia;
- providing legal assistance of the local companies in the procedure before MEPSO (Electricity Transmission System Operator of Macedonia) for obtaining EIC code and conclusion of an agreement with MEPSO for participation in the electricity market,
- preparation of necessary documentation for participation in the auctions for allocation of cross-border transmitting capacities for the needs of the local companies,
- preparation of all necessary corporative documents for the needs of the local companies.
- Local legal advisor of a foreign energy company (headquartered in Channel Islands) for investment project in Macedonia in the renewable energy sector; preparation of legal due diligence report; advisory activities for realization of the project – 2008 – 2009.
- CAKMAKOVA Advocates practice covers all types of civil, commercial and administrative cases before Macedonian courts and aims for effective dispute resolution while dealing complex cases with an international background.
- CAKMAKOVA Advocates handles substantial disputes in diverse legal areas such as debt recovery and performance of commercial contracts, unfair competition, compensation of damage, infringement of intellectual property rights, employment relations and relations between companies and member of their bodies, protection of personal rights in particular in the area of economic crimes.
- Legal opinions to the newest and most modernly designed Macedonian winery with respect to international registration of trademarks – 2014 – ongoing.
- Local legal advisor of international multi-media business (that develops, produces and distributes 300+ wholly- and majority-owned entertainment, sports, factual and movie channels in 45 languages across Latin America, Europe, Asia and Africa) through its companies located in Italy and Bulgaria on intellectual property and competition issues – 2010.
- Local legal advisor of the leading global food service retailer, with over 36,000 restaurants in more than 100 countries, with respect to the registration of the relevant intellectual property rights at the competent authorities in the Republic of Macedonia – 1998 – present.
- Local legal advisor of many other domestic and international companies with respect to registration of intellectual property rights.
- Local legal advisor of a Germany based client which is the world’s leading provider of products and services for people with chronic kidney failure in the process of preparation of legal opinions and relevant agreements pursuant to the applicable Macedonian laws and regulation – 2012 – present.
- Local legal advisor of an American global pharmaceutical company with respect to providing legal opinions and advices pursuant to the applicable Macedonian laws and regulation – 2008 – present.
- Legal advisor of one of the leading bet shops in Macedonia, in the procedure for obtaining license for performance of games of chance in betting shops, including preparation of several legal opinions in different area; preparation of corporate documents and providing wide scope of legal services on daily basis -2013 – 2017.
- Legal advisor of a Brazilian company active in the aerospace business, one of the largest aerospace companies in the world in the project of leasing aircrafts to local aviation company, 2005.
- Legal advisor of a Canadian company active in the aerospace business, one of the largest aerospace companies in the world, in the project Request for Bid for the provision of one aircraft for the needs of the Republic of Macedonia – Department of Administrative and Common Matters, 2004.
- Legal advisor of a United States financial holding company and its subsidiary from France in the project of leasing aircrafts to local aviation company – 2000, – 2004-2005.
- Legal advisor of a world’s leading commercial aircraft and engine lessor and lender (headquartered in Ireland) in the project of leasing aircrafts to local aviation company, 1999-2004.
- Local legal advisor of a subsidiary (headquartered in Senta, Serbia) of one of the leading international manufacturers of tobacco products from Japan – 2007 – ongoing.
- Legal advisor of a leading international tobacco product manufacturer from Japan through FRESHFIELDS BRUCKHAUS DERINGER, United Kingdom, regarding the regulation of the tobacco industry – 2003 – present.
- Legal representative and advisor one of the biggest tobacco and cigarette producers in Europe (headquartered in Germany) and its Slovenian subsidiary, in their commercial and economical presence in Macedonia – 1998.
- Legal expert in the European Commission project “One stop shop for business licenses and permits”, FWC BENEFICIARIES 2009-LOT 10: Trade, Standards and Private Sector EuropeAid/127054/C/SER/multi – 2011 –2013.
- Local legal advisor in European Union funded Project of Approximation of the trade legislation– CARDS Program – 2005 – 2006.
- Local legal advisor in the international consortium on the European Commission Project for creation of the Regional Balkans Infrastructure Study – Electricity (REBIS) and Generation Investment Study (GIS) Project – 2004-2005.
- In the European Commission Project – local legal advisor as part of an international consortium in the CARDS Program Project for supply of services the objective of which was to provide “Technical Assistance for Copyright and related rights protection” to the Government of Macedonia, and to ensure effective application and enforcement of the regulations under the Law on Copyright and related rights – 2004.
- Local legal advisor of US based client active in the automotive industry and its subsidiary in Macedonia, in the process of obtaining construction and use permits for realization in its investment project in Technological Industrial Development Zone Prilep, respectively following and actively supporting from legal point of view the construction process of our client’s facilities from the very beginning up-to-date by finding and negotiating with proper contractors, supervisors, and other participants in the construction, preparation of all necessary contracts for the process of construction (for design, construction and installation, supervision, sale-purchase, technical support, etc.), attending weekly site meetings and other meetings related to construction, resolving disputes, etc. (2015 – present);
- Preparation of construction contracts and co-investment construction contracts for various domestic and foreign companies,
- Handling real estate and other property on behalf of our clients; Preparation of sale-purchase, lease, gift, mortgage and all other property related contracts for various domestic and foreign clients.
Mrs. Biljana Cakmakova
Managing Partner / Attorney at Law
Mrs. Vesna Gavriloska
Partner / Attorney at Law
Mrs. Elena Dimova – Ivanoska
Junior Partner/ Attorney at law
CAKMAKOVA Advocates is a Macedonian advocates’ partnership which provides a full range of legal services to commercial and private local and international clients.The founders of CAKMAKOVA Advocates (formerly MENS LEGIS CAKMAKOVA ADVOCATES) have been present on the legal services market in the Republic of Macedonia for more than 25 years.
CAKMAKOVA Advocates is recognized as one of the leading advocates’ partnerships in Macedonia and it is highly appreciated and respected by its domestic and international clients. CAKMAKOVA Advocates acted as local counsel to several clients in most of the significant transactions in Macedonia in the past 20 years. In our portfolio, we have diverse roster of clients ranging from big corporations, mid-sized and small business companies to individuals to whom we dedicate the same level of expertise and professionalism when dealing with their legal issues.
We cover all areas of the law with particular expertise in corporate law, business law, construction law, banking and finance, commercial law, telecommunications, labor and employment, foreign investments, litigation and dispute resolution, tax law, mergers & acquisitions, competition, intellectual property & transfer of technology.
The partnership comprises of total of 20 employees (18 lawyers and two administrative persons). The team is committed to excellence and providing the best service to meet its clients’ legal needs.
Our legal team is composed of 13 (thirteen) highly trained and experienced attorneys at law, 2 (two) associates (with passed bar exam) and 3 (three) trainees, each dedicated to a specific area of the law to give the best legal assessment and assistance possible. The team is characterized with high level of excellence, expertise and commitment in vigorously representing and protecting our clients’ legal and business interests.
One of the partnership’s primary goals is the continuous education and training of the team through local and international seminars, courses and workshops to enable us to keep up to date with the changing legal environment.
CAKMAKOVA Advocates has actively participated in many projects which involve substantial in depth analysis of existing laws and regulations across various fields of the law. Our role in creating a modern legal system by providing quality legal standards, both theoretical and practical aspects, has been recognized by state authorities and by our clients.
CAKMAKOVA Advocates considers that its experience in practicing the business law and other relevant legal areas in Macedonia may contribute to successful finalization of your project.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Competition Law
- Construction Law and Real Estate
- Energy Law
- Business and Corporate Law
- Foreign & Domestic Investments
- Licensing and Concessions, Public-Private Partnership
- Banking and Finance
- Tobacco Law
CONTACT / INQUIRY
Str. 8 Udarna Brigada no. 43/3, 1000 Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
+389 2 31 15 205