AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Asialaw 2016, Leading Lawyers
Chambers Asia Pacific 2016, Leading Individuals
Asialaw Profiles 2016, Outstanding Firm
Media Law International, Ranked Firm 2016
Chambers Asia Pacific 2016, Leading Firm
IFLR 1000 Financial and Corporate 2017, Recommended Firm
IFLR 1000 Financial and Corporate 2016, Recommended Firm
Member of International Society of Primerus Law Firms
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
– Extensive experience in government procurement cases and related mediation consultation.- Represented many Japanese and American international hi-tech manufacturers, American multinational logistics companies, and Italian and French petroleum companies in arbitration proceedings in both Taiwan and the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).- Represented numerous international companies in mediation proceedings before Taiwan’s Public Construction Committee to solve disputes over the Taiwan High Speed Rail, nuclear power plants, incinerators, semi-conductor factories and equipment, gas construction and international carriage.
– Represented many well-known Taiwanese listed construction companies, semi-conductor factories and equipment manufacturers in arbitration proceedings regarding construction disputes, and co-represented clients with many international law firms in arbitration and litigation proceedings in Hong Kong, Singapore and Ukraine.
- Administrative Remedies
– Represented clients in the context of administrative remedies on issues relating to income tax, sales tax, estate and gift tax, tariffs, house property tax, land value tax, special common levies, land condemnation, other land law and regulation issues, private participation in infrastructure projects, government procurement, environment, intellectual property, fair trade, consumer protection, company registration, employment of foreign nationals, labor disputes, disciplinary actions against public servants, promotion of teachers in public schools, student complaints and other administrative procedures and remedies, in addition to petitions for constitutional interpretation.
– Participated in research projects commissioned by financial or environmental authorities and have contributed to the drafting of relevant bills and regulations.
- Domestic and Foreign Investment
– Trusted legal advisor with respect to domestic and international investment laws and practices.
– Assisted foreign clients with the establishment of a representative office, branch office, and/or subsidiary in Taiwan, as well as mergers & acquisitions, application for business licenses and permits, taxation, and stock listing.
– Provides a spectrum of legal consultation including strategic alliance, technical cooperation, joint venture, franchising, trademark licensing, personnel management, taxes, foreign exchange and other corporate matters.
– Built a broad network with leading law firms in various countries for up-to-date legal news regarding investment.
- Maritime Insurance and International Trade
– Advised clients on import and export negotiations, trading paper preparation, and the handling of disputes concerning letters of credit.- Represented clients in the registration and seizure of ships and aircrafts, insurance claims, the handling of disputes concerning insurance laws, letters of credit and cargo damage.
Fair Trade and Consumer Protection
– Represented clients in application for merger approval, administrative litigation and the handling of complaints regarding multi-level marketing, false advertising, unlawful marketing, tie-in sales, frivolous accusation of intellectual property infringement, unfair competition within the logistics industry, and legal analysis for other issues in connection with fair trade laws.
– Assisted many companies in formulating policies in accordance with the Consumer Protection Law.
– Represented consumers and companies in mediation or litigation concerning consumer complaints.
- China Practice
– Provided clients with general legal consultation, stock listing, company organization, project investment, real estate, and shipping in the Greater China region.
– Assisted with applications for Taiwanese investment permits, the establishment of a base of operation in Taiwan, stock listing in Taiwan, as well as legal due diligence
– Real estate and private participation in infrastructure development (including BOT and OT) is a major strength, and we are well positioned to provide in-depth legal consultation in such fields tailored to the needs of investors from the People’s Republic of China.
– Experienced in the dispute resolutions processes in the jurisdictions of Taiwan, Hong Kong and People’s Republic of China.
Cathay Associates in Taipei, Taiwan, Formosan Brothers, is founded on the motto of Ultimate, Unique, United, and Universal. Unity is central to philosophy. We believe in building a support network to guide our associates in their professional development, and this philosophy has helped us to attract outstanding legal talents who help building the resourceful and award-winning firm that we are today.
Formosan Brothers specializes in contentious and non-contentious matters, international affairs and intellectual property matters. Steadily building and enhancing our legal and professional skills, we stand on the forefront of business, legislative, and legal development and aim to continue innovating and expanding our expertise to meet the diverse needs of our clients.
Our clients include publicly listed domestic and international companies, Fortune 500 companies, investment and commercial banks and other small to medium size companies in various industries.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
We have a team of registered arbitrators with extensive experience serving on arbitral tribunals or representing clients on high-profile arbitrations both domestically and internationally.
- Japan Practice
Home to a Japanese-speaking team consisting of attorneys who have obtained advanced legal education in Japan and, in addition to fluency in the language, have an in-depth understanding of the Japanese culture and legal system.
Our Japan-related legal services which have won recognition from our clients include: assistance to the establishment of a representative’s office, branch office, or subsidiary of Japanese companies in Taiwan, application for Foreign Investment Approval (FIA), international mergers and acquisitions, tax planning, personnel management, trademark licensing, technical cooperation, and other commerce-related legal consultation.
CONTACT / INQUIRY
8F, No. 376, Sec. 4, Jen-Ai Road
Taipei 10693, Taiwan (R.O.C.)